Do you ever find yourself feeling like a zombie with no energy to face the challenges of a new day? If this is the situation that you are always in, then know that you are not alone. A lot of people experience this as well and more often than not, the main culprit is a sleepless night. Yes, you’ve read that right! There is a correlation between not getting enough sleep and your feeling of being tired during the day. And if this is an everyday occurrence, then it is crucial to get to the root of the problem to prevent developing health conditions in the long run.
To put it simply, sleep is one of the biggest facets of one’s health and wellness. During sleep, your body is given the time to reenergize and rejuvenate. Without it, your health will be affected in so many ways. To help you understand even better, here are some of the effects of not having a good night’s sleep:
- Your body will have difficulty in fighting of diseases. You may find yourself always battling even the simplest ones such as cold and flu. The fact is that lack of sleep can have a profound effect on your immune system.
- You are putting yourself at risk of developing obesity. A lot of studies have discovered that those who sleep less than 7 hours a day have bigger tendencies to become obese. It will be harder for you to control your weight. You also have a bigger chance of developing diabetes. The rationale behind this has something to do with the way the body processes glucose. If you are sleep-deprived, the process will be altered significantly.
- Just like what we have mentioned earlier, lack of sleep can make you feel tired and sluggish, only if you’re not sleeping in murphy beds. Because of this, your mental well-being may be affected as well. Aside from becoming moody and irritable, you may also develop depression in the long run. Moreover, you may also find yourself experiencing more anxiety. In one study, researchers found out that those who sleep less than 6 hours a night are usually depressed and very anxious.
- Without enough sleep, your sex life will also be affected. To be more specific, your libido may decrease and you may find yourself losing interest in sex. In another study, experts found out that men with sleep apnea, which is a sleep disorder, tend to have decreased testosterone levels, which also results to a decrease in sex drive.
- You are putting yourself at risk of developing heart diseases if you always lack the recommended number of sleep. Some of the effects include increase in blood pressure and increase in heat rate.
These are just some of the possible effects of not having enough sleep at night. Now that you understand the gravity of what it can do to your health, it is now time to discuss how to get better sleep so that you will have enough energy all throughout the day:
- One of the first things that you need to look into if your bed. Ask yourself if your mattress is comfortable enough to make you want to go to bed. According to experts, you should spend at least 5 minutes on each side of the new mattress that you are buying. You should do this in your preferred sleeping position. By doing so, you will be 100% sure that it is the correct one for you. Good thing is that many manufacturers allow you to test run the mattress that you intend to buy. So, the next time that you are buying one, ask the store if they provide this service. After-all, mattresses can be quite expensive so it is best to be sure.
- As for the pillows, according to a study conducted in Germany, the best pillow is the type that can support your head well, nit bury it. With this in mind, you should go for pillows with medium firmness if you want to improve your sleep experience.
- Experts have discovered that the light spectrum found in electronic gadgets such as computers and mobile phones can disrupt the natural circadian rhythm of the body. Because of this, you should avoid using them especially if you are about to retire to bed. This is also true for televisions, so it is best to keep distraction outside of the bedroom. The best thing to do is to just keep your room pitch dark.
- Avoid long naps during the day. If you already slept in increments throughout the day, the tendency is for you to stay up all night, and then the cycle continuous since you will again feel tired to do anything the next day.
Sleep is one of the most important components of your health and wellness. If you always find yourself tired and sluggish, then it is time to act now before it is too late. Develop good sleeping habits and you will surely see how much it can help in making your life better.